Looking for an easy way to Learning of new elementary english grammar and composition for class 6 answers, Solutions. You have to learn basic English Grammar topics like Tenses Verbs, Nouns, etc… In this article, we will review the best English Grammer Topics and compare them against each other.
Past Tense Exercise for Class 6 CBSE With Answers Pdf
The Simple Past Tense
|Use the simple past tense to talk about things that happened in the past. The simple past tense is also used to talk about things that happened in stories.|
I bought a new camera last week.
Joe learned to play the guitar very quickly.
We drove to the safari park last weekend.
The giant panda gave birth to a cub last night.
Yesterday, Dad took me to the carnival.
The Past Progressive Tense
|Use the past progressive tense to talk about actions that were going on at a certain moment in the past.|
Miss Mary was cleaning the chalkboard.
Sally was packing her books into her schoolbag.
Jenny and I were cleaning the classroom.
The twins were fighting in the corner.
You form the past progressive tense like this:
was + present participle
were + present participle
In the examples above, was and were are called helping verbs, or auxiliary verbs. They help to form the past progressive tense when you join them to the present participle (the form of verbs ending in -ing).
Ben was doing his homework.
Peter was making a model of a bridge.
Read the picture story.
Past Tense Practice Exercise for Class 6 CBSE
A. Answer the following questions as per the story.
1. Where had Madhav and Riya been driving before the car stopped?
2. What did Madhav know?
3. Why did Riya and Madhav thank Sumit?
B. Re-write the sentences into simple past
1. We move to a new house. → _____________
2. They bring a sandwich. → _____________
3. He doesn’t do his homework. → _____________
4. They sell cars. → _____________
5. Does he visit his friends? → _____________
C. Write the following sentences in simple past.
1. Ditya / miss / the bus → _____________
2. she / tidy / her room → _____________
3. Nancy / watch / not / television → _____________
4. she / read / a book → _____________
D. Write correct sentences.
Write positive sentences in past progressive (continuous).
Yesterday at 6 pm your family was doing different things.
1. My mother / read / a novel ___________
2. My father / watch / a movie ___________
3. My elder sister / writing / in her diary ___________
4. My two brothers / listen / to the radio ___________
5. My little sister and I / not / watch / a movie ___________
6. We / talk / about school ___________
A. Write the past participle of the following irregular verbs.
1. Speak ___________
2. Catch ___________
3. Eat ___________
4. Understand ___________
5. Begin ___________
B. Complete the sentences in past perfect (affirmative form).
1. I lost the key that he (give) to me.
2. He told me that he (see) the film.
3. I went outside as I (hear) a noise.
4. When they came home, Priya (cook) dinner.
5. We could not send you a postcard because we (lose) our address book.
C. Complete the sentences in past perfect (negative).
1. The waiter served something that we (not/order).
2. He went to the country which he (not/visit) before.
3. She picked out the red dress, which she (not/wear) for ages.
4. He (not/swim) in the beach before that day.
5. His mother was angry because he (not/do) the shopping for her.
D. Complete the questions in past perfect
1. (you/finish) your homework before you went to the cinema?
2. Why (you/not/clean) the bathroom before you took a bath?
3. (you/have) breakfast before you left the house?
4. (she/manage) to find a place to stay when she went to London?
5. Where (she/stay) before she moved to live with her friend?
E. Write the verbs into the correct form (past perfect or the simple past).
My grandfather ………………………. (agree) to go fishing with me already.
Rema ………………………… (play) with my sister yesterday.
It …………………………….. (rain) every day in July.
She ………………………. (refuse) to come to the party.
Raghu …… ……. (travel) a lot in Asia.
F. Write the verbs between brackets in the correct tense (past perfect simple or continuous).
1. I (try) to get tickets for that play for months before my friend finally got them.
2. When I arrived at the theater, he (pick, already) up the tickets.
3. He was really angry because he (wait) for more than half an hour when I arrived.
5. We (watch) the play when the lights went off.