A conjunction is a part of speech that is used to connect words, phrases, clauses, or sentences. Conjunctions are considered to be invariable grammar particles, and they may or may not stand between items they conjoin. Conjunctions are words which join together words, sentences, and part of sentences.
Looking for an easy way to Learning of new elementary english grammar and composition for class 8 answers, Solutions. You have to learn basic English Grammer topics like Tenses Verbs, Nouns, etc… In this article, we will review the best English Grammer Topics and compare them against each other.
Conjunctions Exercises for Class 8 CBSE With Answers Pdf
The conjunction is a word (sometimes group of words) which is used to join two or sentences. Let us now see how these conjunctions are used.
1. Mohan and Ravi went to the library.
2. He came in and I went out.
1. I rang you up yesterday but you were not at home.
2. I tried to stop him but he did not listen to me.
1. Please bring apples for me if you go to market.
2. I will not go to office if it rains tomorrow.
1. Mohan had gone for a walk before I got up.
2. They had completed the project before the deadline.
1. We shall go to watch a movie when he comes back from college.
2. I was on my way when I realised I had forgotten the gift.
1. She was studying while her brother was playing.
2. The police warned him against using his cell phone while driving.
1. He is a politician whereas his brother is a poet.
2. Mumbai is a coastal city whereas Delhi is not.
IN CASE/PROVIDED THAT
1. She will prepare tea in case you bring sugar.
2. He will help you to get this iicense provided (that) you give him Rs.50,000/-.
1. John had missed his bus so he got late.
2. He had a fever therefore he didn’t go to office yesterday.
1. You will succeed because you are working hard.
2. I was late to school because I was stuck in traffic.
1. Let’s go to bed as it is 11.30 PM.
2. We can’t employ him as he is lazy.
3. I want to succeed in life as my father did.
4. Now write on the paper as I say.
1. Do not make a noise otherwise I’ll punish you.
2. Work hard else you will not get good marks.
3. Call him or he will be angry.
1. He did not work hard consequently he failed.
2. They cannot complete that exercise unless you practise daily.
1. Wait here till I come back.
2. Do not switch on the T.V. until I complete my homework.
1. He will not lend you money unless you sign on this agreement.
ALTHOUGH/THOUGH (regardless of the fact that)
1. She didn’t call me although I was at home.
2. He doesn’t help anybody though he is rich.
1. We were unable to go since it was raining.
2. I have not met him since he left this colony.
YET/HOWEVER/N EVERTH EN ESS/STILL
1. He is rich yet he doesn’t help others.
2. She was ill however she attended the class.
3. He is here nevertheness I can’t talk to him.
4. I did not invite him stile he came to my hourse.
1. This is the book that he bought yesterday.
2. I am happy that you are going abroad.
1. He is taller than his friend.
2. Sohan was wiser than his grandfather.
1. We shall go there after you come.
2. He reached the bus stop after the bus had left.
1. Supposing he comes how will you talk?
2. Supposing they are dismissed what will they do?
1. You may sit here, only if you remain silent.
2. He went to school only to find it to be closed.
AS WELL AS
1. He as well as his brother is a doctor.
2. Rita as well as her mother went there.
SO THAT/SO/IN ORDER TO
1. He is working hard so that he may pass.
2. He saves money so he could buy a good mobile.
AS SOON AS
1. As soon as rain started we came in.
2. They left the office as soon as the boss left.
AS FAR AS
1. As far as I know he is a very wise person.
2. As far as I know we are lost.
AS MUCH AS
1. I love you as much as I love her.
2. Our parents do as much as they can for us.
AS LONG AS
1. You need not worry about anything as long as I am here.
2. The children didn’t make a noise as long as he was in the room.
IN ORDER TO
1. The people rushed there in order to help the victims.
2. We must improve our English in order to get good jobs.
NO LESS THAN
1. I waited for no less than an hour.
2. They spent no less than a fortune on the wedding.
1. India cannot win this match even if Sachin Tendulkar scores a century.
2. You cannot reach there in time even if you leave early.
1. We don’t know what he wants.
2. This is exactly what I expected.
1. We are going to Agra where we shall see the Taj Mahal and the Fateh Pur Sikri.
2. He works in Iceland where hot springs are found in abundance.
1. This is the boy whom I know very well.
2. The man whom you met in the morning is a scientist.
1. There goes the boy whose father is an MLA.
2. The man whose car is steller, has bought a new car yesterday.
1. He asked me which bike I would buy.
2. I don’t know which house he bought last week.
1. I shall accompany you wherever you go.
2. The dog follows me wherever I go.
1. Whenever you go to market please inform me.
2. Please turn off the lights whenever you leave the room.
1. Whoever makes a noise will be punished.
2. She will sell her house to whoever makes the best offer.
1. You can buy whatever you want.
2. He wrote whatever came to his mind.
Co-relative Conjunctions: Correlative Conjunctions are pairs of joining words that we frequently use to connect two ideas together in a sentence. Look at the following pairs of words.
BOTH ______ AND
- He is both intelligent and hard working.
- Mahesh was both punished and fined.
EITHER ______ OR
- Either Meena or Geeta has won the competition.
- He would like to take either Pepsi or Coke.
NEITHER ______ NOR
- Neither he nor his brother took admission in the college.
- He met neither Ravi nor Mohan.
SO ______ THAT
- He is so weak that he cannot walk.
- He is so strong that no one can beat him.
AS ______ AS
- This book is as interesting as that one.
- This car is as good as that one.
SO ______ AS
- She is not so wise as her mother.
- He is not so tall as his father.
RATHER ______ THAN
- They would rather starve than beg.
- She would rather play than read.
WHETHER ______ OR
- I must win the race whether anybody helps me or not.
- He won’t care whether you pass or fail.
THE SAME ______ AS
- This ¡s not the same design as yours.
- Is this the same watch as Ravi’s?
TOO ______ TO
- She is too tired to cook food.
- This news is too good to be true.
NOT ONLY ______ BUT ALSO
- Exercise is good not only for the body but also for the mind.
- You are not only diligent but intelligent also.
AS MUCH ______ AS
- I will help you as much as I can.
- He ran as much as he could.
NO SOONER ______ THAN
- No sooner did I reach at home than the train started.
- No sooner does he see a comedian than he begins to laugh.
HARDLY ______ WHEN
- I was hardly seated when the movie started.
- He had hardly got into the bus when it started.
ALTHOUGH/THOUGH ______ YET
- Although she is poor yet she enjoys her life.
- Although he is rich yet he is very kind-hearted.
SUCH ______ AS
- There is no such country in the world as they have mentioned.
- There is no such thing as ghosts.
Conjunctions Practice Exercises for Class 8 CBSE
A. Fill in the blanks with the conjunctions given below. Use each conjunction only once.
- while – when – as
- because – since – for
He reached home late as it rained heavily.
1. She stole the money ________ her brother needs to pay his school fees.
2. ________ we were in New Zealand, we visited many orchards.
3. ________ I am on leave tomorrow, there will be no English lesson.
4. He came home dripping wet ________ it was raining heavily at school.
5. ________ I was passing his house, I heard a loud scream.
6. ________ the teacher was busy writing on the board, the students at the back of the class were talking rather loudly.
B. Fill in the blanks with the conjunction given below. Use each conjunction only once.
- therefore – unless – to conclude
- as a result – in my orinia – consequently
1. ________ her mother buys her some toys, she will definitely not move away from there.
2. The referee was too lenient ________ two players were badly injured in the game.
3. They boy, ________, should have run out of the house when he first saw the smoke coming out from the kitchen.
4. He smoked too much. I am not surprised that he ________ got lung cancer.
5. They couldn’t find any stream to get fresh water, ________ they had to dig to get underground water.
6. ________, we must all work together to ensure that everything work out as planned.
C. Fill in the blanks with suitable conjunction.
1. You can write ________ e-mail to us before the end of this month.
2. Jyoti will not attend the party ________ she is personally invited.
3. Your allowance will be withdrawn ________ you do not do well.
4. Neither the employer ________ the employees are happy with the mediator.
5. You may have all the wealth in the world ________ you may still not be happy.
6. The child has not been eating well ________ yesterday.
7. We had better clean up the mess, ________ we will be in great trouble.
8. The residents are not happy ________ the garbage collectors do not collect the garbage regularly.
9. We have done our best, ________ there is no point crying over spilt milk.
10. The speaker will conduct a seminar ________ a workshop for the participants.
D. Join each pair of sentences into one by using a suitable conjunction.
1. We will go for an outing. We will do so if the weather is fine.
2. We had better get ready now. We may not have time to reach the airport.
3. The meeting had to be called off. There was not enough time.
4. Mr. Singh has been sick. He has been so since coming back from Japan.
5. Do not start the rehearsal yet. The chairman has not arrived.
6. The debating teams were very happy. Both were declared joint-champions.
7. The players gave their best. They still did not win the match.
8. We are proud to be Malaysians. We must fly the Jalur Gemilang on National Day.
9. The boys were unhappy with their results. The girls were also unhappy with theirs.
10. Let us be more serious in our revision. We may not perform as much as we want.
E. Fill in the blanks with suitable conjunctions.
1. They spent the night here ________ it was too late for them to go home.
2. I cannot afford to buy this watch ________ I like it very much.
3. She said that she can’t come ________ she has a lot of work to do.
4. You must shut all the windows ________ the rain will not come in.
5. I returned the book to him ________ came back at once.
6. The front door was locked, ________ I went round the house to the back.
7. I could not sleep at all ________ the neighbor’s cat was mewing the whole night long.
8. ________ I had dressed as quickly as I could, I missed the bus.
9. He was very wealthy, ________ he was also one of the most miserly men I had ever known.
10. You can ________ use my bicycle ________ you can walk up the hill.
11. They have stopped the game ________ it has started raining rather heavily.
12. I have not seen your purse anywhere, ________ have I taken it.
13. I read through the whole book, ________ I could not get the information I wanted.
14. ________ he was very busy, he offered to help me ________ I did not know anything about the subject.
15. I went to his house yesterday, ________ he was not in; ________ I left him a message to come to my house as soon as possible.
F. Fill in the blanks with suitable conjunctions.
1. He was ________ old ________ weak there was no one to look after him.
2. My mother ________ ________ gave me a birthday present, ________ ________ some money ________ I could buy myself a new dress.
3. His father beat him, ________ he ________ cried ________ uttered a sound ________ he was used to frequent beatings.
4. ________ we found that we were late, we took a taxi ________ ________ we might reach the cinema on time.
5. That old man had expected free treatment ________ he was poor ________, he was shocked when he was given a bill for thirty thousands. He was ________ upset ________ he cried.
6. You’d better work hard ________ ________ you’ll fail, ________ do not study ________ hard ________ your health suffers. You should work ________ play according to a planned routine.
7. Mona, ________ ________ ________ her sister, is in the choir. They can sing ________ ________ in English ________ French ________ ________ in Chinese ________ Japanese.
8. You can ________ ride the motorcycle ________ drive the car. ________ you’d better take the motorcycle ________ part of the road is blocked.
9. He wanted to do odd jobs ________ ________ ________ he save some money ________ no one was willing to employ him ________ they thought that he was dishonest.
10. ________ you were too lazy to bring your own umbrella, I have a mind to let you walk home in the rain ________, this time you may share my umbrella ________ don’t let there be a next time.
11. ________ the escaped convict ________ his accomplice darted into a house to escape the police, the effort was wasted. The police ________ their dogs surrounded the house; ________, the men refused to come out.
12. The boy scouts did odd jobs ________ they may raise funds for Charity Week. The public was responsive ________ helped them a lot; ________ the scouts raised a lot of money.
13. ________ my cousin ________ his friend cannot come early ________ they are busy doing their work, ________ they promise to come as soon as they can.
14. Our feast included food and drinks. There was a large quantity of each, ________ we managed to finish them.
15. The teacher had punished them ________ ________ ________ they might learn to do their work properly. ________, they still produced the same careless work.
16. The girls practised hard, ________ they did not win the match; ________ we cheered them they ________ showed a fine spirit of sportsmanship.
17. She did her work carelessly, ________ ________ ________ she had to stay behind ________ rewrite it.
18. My mother ________ my father visited my uncle ________ aunt in Chandigarh. My parents traveled by air ________ they wanted to arrive early ________ instead they were a few hours late.
19. The prefect told that boy ________ his rowdy friends to ________ follow the rules ________ be sent to detention.
20. The girl is young ________ pretty ________ she is blind; ________ she earns a living by weaving baskets ________ sewing dresses. ________ her baskets ________ her dresses are sold in many shops.